Fire Prevention at the North Massapequa Fire Department Open House on Friday, October 12, 2007
Fire Chiefs and "Firefighter"
The Massapequa Fire Headquarters held it's annual Fire Prevention Open House on Friday, October 12 from 7-9 p.m. Many families attended and the firehouse was packed. There was a poster contest being held with many winners who recieved awards. This contest was for the elementary school students in the Massapequa community. In order to make Massapequans aware of Fire Prevention. many stations were open for demonstrations for families. It was an enjoyable event and a perfect outreach for the town.
Fire Prevention at the North Massapequa Fire Department
Open House on Friday, October 13, 2006
1. Test fire detectors once a month and replace batteries twice a year.
2. Place a smoke detector outside each bedroom and on each level of your home.
3. Place a fire extinguisher on each level of your home.
4. If your family does not have a fire escape plan, make one today.
In the Kitchen
1. In the kitchen, do not leave anything unattended on the stove, in the toaster or in the microwave.
2. Keep the stove top clear of ignitable items such as towels.
3. Teach children to stay three feet away from the stove when you are cooking.
4. Keep pot handles turned in.
If There's a Fire
1. Never use water or Class A extinguishers on electrical and grease fires.
2. Household extinguishers should only be used on small fires.
3. Before attempting to fight a fire, call the fire department.
4. Teach your children the "stop, drop and roll" technique. Also you can use blankets or other heavy items to extinguish flames.
General Safety Tips
1. Keep cleaning supplies, medications and poisonous materials in locked cabinets.
2. When storing flammable liquids, keep them away from heat sources and in storage sheds or garages, never in the house.
3. Post the phone number for the Poison Control Center. Call immediately if you think someone is in danger.
All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of massapequaNEWS.com or in the case of third-party materials, the owner of that content. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.
You may download material from LongIslandNEWS.info (one machine readable copy and one print copy per page) for your personal, noncommercial use only.
Links to Web sites other than those owned by massapequaNEWS.com are offered as a service to readers. The editorial staff of massapequaNEWS.com is not involved in their production and is not responsible for their content.